List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: libkmid
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       2000-03-01 20:06:42

Stephan Kulow wrote:

> Hi!

Hello,

> I just tried to compile kdelibs under Solaris (stupid idiot that I am):
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/coolo/tmp/kdelibs/libkmid'
> /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile CC -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..
> -I../qk -I../dcop -
> I../kdecore -I../kdeui -I/home/coolo/tmp/qt/include
> -I/usr/openwin/include -I/home/co
> olo/tmp/KDE/include -I/opt/local/include -I./..    -g   -c midiout.cc
> CC -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../qk -I../dcop -I../kdecore
> -I../kdeui -I/home/coo
> lo/tmp/qt/include -I/usr/openwin/include -I/home/coolo/tmp/KDE/include
> -I/opt/local/i
> nclude -I./.. -g -Wp,-MD,.deps/midiout.pp -c midiout.cc -o midiout.o
> CC: Warning: Option -Wp,-MD,.deps/midiout.pp passed to ld, if ld is
> invoked, ignored
> otherwise
> "sndcard.h", line 29: Error: Could not open include file
> <sys/soundcard.h>.
> "/usr/include/sys/param.h", line 415: Warning (Anachronism): Attempt to
> redefine HZ w
> ithout using #undef.
>
> And looking at that file I found:
>
> #ifndef __FreeBSD__
> #include <sys/soundcard.h>
> #else
> #include <machine/soundcard.h>
> #endif
>
> Could this test be made a bit more stable?
>
> I did not quite understand how libkmid interacts with arts anyway. I

It doesn't, arts plays audio and libkmid plays midi music.
The interaction will be done in the (not near) future.

> thought,
> arts would do all the ugly work of playing sounds?

sounds, yes.
But I don't expect kdegames to take a wav or an mp3 file for each game,
do you ?
As I said on kde-cvs, I'll add soon music to a game (probably ktron),
and I don't expect the midi file to take more than 50 Kb.

> Anyway: please make this part of kdelibs more portable or I see no other
> way
> but moving it again to kdemultimedia. Looking there I see that kmid
> isn't
> compiled when neither sys/soundcard.h nor machine/soundcard.h exist.
> That's
> about it? Then why it's in kdelibs?

It's easy, I forgot to move that test to kdelibs. Kmid doesn't depend
anymore on soundcard.h but just on libkmid, and libkmid is the one
that depends on soundcard.h

Is moving that test enough for you to consider libkmid "portable" ?

(where "portable" == doesn't break compilation on not-supported systems)

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
Student of Mathematics