List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    pics and i18n
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-02-28 16:40:40

Hi!

kwelcome and pixie both use logos that contain text with
meaning. kwelcome says "Welcome to" and pixie has some short
introduction into the mouse bindings. There may be other
uses of this technique as well, but I'm not aware of it.

This arises a problem with internationalisation. From what
I see there are 3 ways to get around it:
1. abstain from it or live with it
2. have only the picture in binary and add the text with the
   program itself
3. have different versions of the logos.

While 3. sounds the easiest for the programmer, it seems not
possible as we can't really put the burden of painting on the
translators (remember that kde-i18n knows 42 languages).

I'm aware that the user most likely won't have the fonts that
the programmer would like to put on the logo, but maybe we
could have this as fallback? Something like
if (!loadi18nPixmap()) {
  loadBlanco();
  putText("Welcome to");
}

What do you think?

Greetings, Stephan

--
It said Windows 95 or better, so in theory Linux should run it
                                                GeorgeH on /.