List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KDE2 usability( was Re: kdesktop refresh )
From:       "Matt Koss" <koss () miesto ! sk>
Date:       2000-02-28 8:08:56

----- Original Message -----
From: David Faure <david@mandrakesoft.com>
To: <kde-core-devel@kde.org>
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2000 2:07 AM
Subject: Re: kdesktop refresh

> On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 08:41:09AM +0100, Matt Koss wrote:
> >
> > I have noticed a bug in kdesktop which forces me to click on the desktop
> > background to make it work.
> >
> > It happens when I do Alt+F2 to open Run Command ( but also in some other
> > situations ) and then press Esc. Right after that the keys stop working
and I
> > have to first click on the desktop to cause a refresh. Only after that
the keys
> > work again.
>
> Same here. In fact it happens whenever you close the _last_ window
> of the current desktop. I guess it's a bug in kwin.

Exactly.

I am happy that I can use KDE2 as my default desktop now.
I mean that all stuff that I use works ( kwin, kppp, kmail ).
Konqy is not yet so stable, but I can use Netscape for now.

Some bugs that I noticed and some things that I really miss ( or maybe just
don't know how they work ) :

1. kdesktop refresh ( see above ).
2. kwin setting to show all windows in kicker ( not just those on current
desktop )
3. kwin setting, so that I can maximize window by double-clicking on the
titlebar.
4. correct window maximizing, so that kicker is not hidden.
5. keyboard shortcut for switching sessions in konsole.
6. konqy somehow ingnores my settings saved with "Save as default", like
"use HTML" and "show thumbnails"
7. I tried to read KDE documentation in konqy, but I could not click on any
link ( a bug I guess :-))
8. kmail doesn't send queued messages after mail check ( however, an
explicit command "Send queued" works )
    attaching file doesn't work
    kmail addressbook contains a crap at the beginning of each entry ( I
have just copied over my kmailrc from KDE 1.x , so this maybe it )
9. I have noticed one thing that is also present in KDE 1.x that comes with
SuSE 6.3 :
    when I add a application button to the kicker / kpanel and later change
it's properties ( e.g. command that it runs ), KDE creates a modified entry
in  $HOME/.kde/share/applnk, but the button in kpanel still uses previous
properties.
  I have to remove the button and add button from $HOME/.kde/share/applnk
instead.
  I guess that this should be transparent, and button should be changed
automatically.

I guess that some of these things are easy to fix.
Please don't write back that Caitoo doesn't work at all right now :-)

            Regards

                            Matt