List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Porting libsearch and Caitoo to new KIO
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       2000-02-26 9:44:31

Ahh, these one are a bit to hard for me :-)

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Matt Koss wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Don Sanders wrote:
> >(Your?) kioslavetest program has been updated, and I used it as
> > documentation.
> >
> >The new form is
> >    job = KIO::copy( src, dest );
> >    connect( job, SIGNAL( result( KIO::Job * ) ),
> >  	     SLOT( slotResult( KIO::Job * ) ) );
>
> Does it mean that I have to do connect right after calling KIO::copy ?
> Otherwise I could loose some result I guess.

I asked myself the same question. I would guess (and even believe) that the
KIO system is designed such that the result signal won't be emitted until the
calling program processes events. Hence as long as you don't allow events to
be processed in between the job... and connect... statements (by say calling
processEvents()) you should be safe.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

> Also how do I get a progress-info signals ?
> I can't seem to find them in jobclasses.h

I hadn't gotten that far yet. I'm just taking a breather after getting some
of the KIO stuff I've been doing working again, sort of.

I know that the progress dialog stuff isn't reimplemented yet, apparently it
was envisaged that dcop would be used for this. Perhaps something similar
holds true for progress signals and they are still on the todo list.

Hmm, and I was just about to try and add
number-bytes-downloaded/total-bytes-to-download info to KMail too.

BFN,
Don.