List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    [Fwd: What do you consider more important? (graphics)]
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-02-26 0:09:40

It said Windows 95 or better, so in theory Linux should run it
                                                GeorgeH on /.

To:     mosfet <mosfet@mandrakesoft.com>
cc:     kde-core-devel@kde.org, keithp@suse.com
Subject: Re: What do you consider more important? (graphics)
From:   Keith Packard <keithp@suse.com>
Sender: keithp@keithp.com
Date:   Sat, 26 Feb 2000 01:04:19 +0100

> I couldn't resist to ask about that AA stuff and he said that the AA stuff
> is *not* dead. Keith Packard <keithp@suse.com> *is* working on it. He said
> that it will be in post XF40 though.

I am working on AA graphics, and yes text AA is the principle reason.  The
API isn't as easy as I first thought.  AA graphics are typically
approximated with alpha blending, but which style of alpha blending
depends on the background in use and the order primitives are rendered in,
so we end up needing to let the application choose from several
alternatives.

There are other ways to approximate AA graphics, one choice that SGI
currently implements in hardware is a super-sampled frame buffer.  We
could do the same in software but would lose hardware acceleration.

Additionally, we'll want to add sub-pixel coordinates for finer control of
glyph positioning, and also new rendering primitives for converting
characters into graphical objects.

My plan is to build a set of interoperating systems so we can work on each
part separately.  First comes alpha blending, next comes new rendering
primitives and finally comes AA graphics.  The idea is to hook app writers
with the speed of accelerated alpha blending (~100 times faster than
software) and get them excited enough to help drive the rest of the
standard.  I can design a rendering system in isolation, but I suspect
we'll like the results better if we work together.

This work is moving slowly at this point; XFree86 is busy getting 4.0 done.

I'll be giving a short presentation at Usenix in June about this work and
hope to have something to show people at that time.

-keith