List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kio_smb working! (But...)
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-02-25 22:15:11

Nicolas Brodu wrote:

> Thanks to the great new API, in a couple of hours I wrote the
> smb by copying the file slave.
> It seems to work locally. I'm not on a LAN anymore so cannot test it further.
> It can now use the Samba code as a back-end for doing SMB,
> thus being more reliable than the native code (which is still
> there for limited smb support in case Samba isn't present, but
> won't be maintained).
>
> (But...) indeed:
>
> - The Samba libraries are in /usr/local/samba/lib by default,
> and KLibrary cannot load them from here (I tried the -rpath,
> and LD_LIBRARY_PATH. See Makefile.am in the small package). So
> symlink as root in /usr/local/lib (hack) or add in ldconfig.
You can lt_dladdsearchdir(), but this is a lacking feature of
libtool that it doesn't load the dependend libraries. Noone
implemented it so far - I only came up with the kimgio hack ;-)

> - KIO API design: This OpenConnection() function, plus the
> path-on-server argument in all other, is all very well for
> ftp, but in the case of smb there might not even be a server! So as in file I
> didn't implement OpenConnection(). Problem:
> The path argument destroy the first tokens of the URL, supposed to be host,
> user, pass... and return only the decoded remaining. What if I want to access a
> share with password?
> example: smb://:pass@host/share should be a valid URL. And also smb:// for that
> matter. Is there a way to obtain the full
> decoded URL in the slave?
> For now, just add a foo argument in the url to make it work. That is, try
> smb://foo/your_url_here
Hmm, openConnection could again pass the full URL. This shouldn't mater
too much.

> - User feedback. Ok, I didn't inspect FTP closely. But what is the recommended
> way to ask the user for a login/password?
openPassDlg is a function of slavebase.

> - A few segfaults in konqueror. Didn't have the time to
> investigate the reason why, but seems random and not located
> in kio_smb functions themselves (though happening while
> browsing over smb)
I have the same while browsing ftp with kfile. Lacked time too ;(
My first idea was that some UDS_ENTRIES were missing and that this
may cause a problem. But konqueror doesn't crash on the same URL...

Greetings, Stephan

--
It said Windows 95 or better, so in theory Linux should run it
                                                GeorgeH on /.