List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Applets/swallowing was Re: New qt copy?
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-02-17 18:38:50

Matthias Ettrich wrote:

> Ok, I clearify: I wanted mosfet to kill the external applets anyway ;-)
>
> Seriously, we need a decision regarding applets. I really like the dlopen stuff
> and wonder whether it wouldn't be appropriate to use it for all applets. An
> applet then would simply be a library and a small loader. The loader talks to
> kicker via dcop and lets kicker load the library and thus embed the applet.
> This way applets still can show up in the K-menu and still can simply be
> started with konqueror by clicking on them. If the loader can't talk to kicker,
> it will fire up the applet itself.

I would like to retain the abilty to support swallowed applets, but I
think a nice way to handle this would be to have a special 'swallowing'
plugin. This could be used when people want to use generic apps as
panel applets (for example a TV viewer). The TV example is a good one
as it also needs to be able to request a larger amount of space than
a normal applet.

I'd also make a couple of other requests while we're on this subject:

- Where can I find an example of non-QXEmbed swallowing that is known
to work properly with kwin?

- Mosfet, could you rename the PanelMenu class? It it is the only thing
in kdeui that doesn't start with a K.

- Is there an example plugin? It would be great to have (for example)
a 'Hello world' plugin to give people an easy way to get into this
stuff.

Cheers

Rich.

--