List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Converted kedit to use new UI framework
From:       Lotzi Boloni <boloni () cs ! purdue ! edu>
Date:       2000-02-16 17:58:09

> > I have a solution to this, but I don't know if you'll like it. When I
> > use XML for work we use the SAX API rather than the DOM to avoid just
> > this sort of trouble - the problem is that you are building a large and
> > complex data structure which you don't actually need. Unless you are
> > manipulating the XML using the DOM, it is just a waste of memory.

   I think that using SAX is definitely the better choice than building a
DOM and immediately deleting it and my experience that the transition is
not too difficult - you only need to move the functions you call when
traversing the DOM to the SAX hooks, called at parsing time. I had done
this in Java several times.

  However I think that right now QXml doesn't have SAX functionality
(please correct me if I am wrong) and implementing it is an overkill for
those 20KB of spare memory.

            Lotzi