List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KFileDialog
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-02-13 19:18:30

David Sweet wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > David Sweet wrote:
> > >
> > > Why does KFileDialog::getOpenFileName () return selectedFile() instead of
> > > selectedURL ()?
> > >
> > > Why limit a commonly-used method to local files?  It seems to me that returning
> > > selectedURL() would encourage application developers to write "network
> > > transparent" could (in this case to deal with remote files).
> > >
> > If you volunteer to fix all applications, I'm sure noone would object
> >
> > Greetings, Stephan
>
> Ah!
>
> How about this:  I'll add a method getOpenURL() that
> returns selectedURL().

This is almost exactly what was provided for the old dialog! I decided
when I wrote the API for that to keep it compatible with the QFileDialog
which is why the URL stuff was not part of the getOpenFileName() method.

Rich.

--
     Richard Moore		rich@ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk
http://www.robocast.com/	richard@robocast.com