List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Logout (again)
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       2000-02-13 15:19:41

Hi,

sorry for the late comment on the missing logout procedure.

I know I promised a solution long time ago, wihtout delivering.  Anybody here
who doesn't know the problem of a) too much to do and b) too little time? *sigh*

It's better to have the logout interface in kwin than nothing (for now), but be
sure it  will soon dissappear. Here's the design concept:

Kwin shouldn't  do any logout, not at all. It's really not the task of a window
manager to be the last process in a xinitrc startup.

The last process in the startkde will be - surprise, surprise - ksession, a
simple XSMP compliant session manager.  Kwin will just be another X- (and XSMP-)
client.

Unfortunately it is not really a fun job to write a XSMP compliant session
manager (that doesn't crash). Both me and Preston tried to motivate us to do it
(after gaining some experience with ICE when doing the dcop server), but didn't
find the time yet. Anybody tried using gnome-session together with KDE-2?
Compiling Qt with SM_SUPPORT should almost do the trick (apart from Kwin not
yet restoring the window positions). But restarting KDE-2 apps should work if
gnome-session is XSMP compatible.

As most of you know, we are currently preparing the Qt-2.1 release. Once this
is done, I will be able to go back to KDE development, which for me means
writing the session manager (finally).

Matthias