List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KAccel/KStdAccel/KAction
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-02-07 22:02:38

Nicolas HADACEK wrote:
> 1 - I've just made some (not too big) changes in the KAccel/KStdAccel API
> in order to get rid of some mess and duplication in standard key definition
> (they were in several locations :

Admirable sentiment.. but I'm not entirely sure that all of the
changes are in a positive direction.  For instance, you would have us
change all things like:

KStdAccel::quit()

KStdAccel::key(KStdAccel::Quit)

I'd argue that this decreases readability and causes more unnecessary
typing for no added benefit.

You must have some reason, though... so why?

> I have tried to correct all the (common) cvs.
> (kdelibs-kdebase-kdeadmin-kdeutils-kdegames-kdenetwork-kdesdk-koffice-kdegraphics)

THAT is cool, though.  All to often, changes are made without apps
being updated.  Very nice.

> 3 - next step :
>   * KStdAccel and KStdAction are *very* similar things ...
>     they probably should be somehow defined in the same place.
>   * I think IMHO that the API of KStdAction suffers some unecessary
>     clutter ... we probably only need some Enum and generic methods (as
>     in new KStdAccel) ??

Hmm... I rather like the KStdAction way of having convenience methods
for lazy typists and a generic method for people with too much time on
their hands...
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix