List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    A few KIOLittleProgressDlg things
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       2000-02-07 9:35:51

Sometimes when I like something I find myself being very critical of it, so I
just want to say that KIOLittleProgressDlg is awesome, and the idea of
including a cancel button next to the progress dialog in the status bar as
absolute genius.

KIOLittleProgressDlg contains a method:
  bool eventFilter( QObject *, QEvent * );

Shouldn't this be explicitly marked as virtual? See the note:
http://www.ph.unimelb.edu.au/~ssk/kde/devel/cxxtips.html#dvirtual

For some reason I had to allow events to be processed at certain points in my
code otherwise the progress dialog would only update for the first job
connected to it. I'm not sure of the exact details but it was very confusing,
I'm guessing the progress dialog uses the zero length QTimer technique and
this problem is tied into that.

A KIOLittleProgressDlg is basically a progress bar that is shown in the
status bar. IMO this make it a shared application resource in the sense that
other things besides KIOJobs might want to use it to show progress. (This is
the case in KMail where I want to use it for showing progress while
processing a local mailbox). The interface exposed by KIOLittleProgressDlg
isn't suitable for doing this. (Well at least it doesn't use any private
parts so I could use inheritance to solve this).

I modified the status bar so that status bar items were shown with a proper
engraved look like Motif style in KDE 1.x this broke the look of the
KIOLittleProgressDlg.

BFN,
Don.