Waldo Bastian wrote: > > In addition, a better solution would be to have active usability > research within KDE. I think the kde-look list can play an important > role in this as well as KDE's commercial partners. I have been doing a little work in this area. I am writing a class KMouseHole that tries to improve Fitt's performace of widgets. It isn't ready just yet but I'll release the first hack this week. I thought of the idea a while back, but did nothing about it until I was reminded of it by the Tog article on the new MacOS. The idea is to make a widget 'virtually' larger than it really is by moderating the relationship between mouse movement and pointer movement using QCursor::setPos(). It is similar to a snap-to type systsem, but less proscriptive. This should help particularly for things like toolbars, kwin window controls and other dense groups of clickable widgets. On a more general note though, I think we should perhaps be trying to recruit academic institutions for this. I know from my experience at the University of Manchester, that if we could define some small projects in research areas like this and were willing to put in the work to support the efforts and evaluate the results then we could propose these projects for students. We could also push the benefits of Open Source to research projects on a larger scale such as the BodyTalk research for KPresenter that Carsten mentioned (and Dirk Foersterling posted a link to yesterday). We must already have some information on the subject for the legal submissions to get charitable tax status for KDE e.V. > > In this respect I am disappointed that Corel, while boosting about its > knowledge about UI, does do very little to share its knowledge with the > rest of KDE. Yes, I had hoped for more from them in this area too. Cheers Rich. > > Cheers, > Waldo -- Richard Moore rich@ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk http://www.robocast.com/ richard@robocast.com http://developer.kde.org/ rich@kde.org