List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Idea for the new kio
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-01-30 14:35:00

David Faure wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 12:54:37PM +0000, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Well, if you're doing a copy from ftp to file, you still need to create
> > dirs, etc. in a central place. Doing slaves from slaves is bad for me,
> > so it leaves the app and I don't think it's too bad. I buy the
> > performance win, but I doubt it will be more than some percents.
>
> Hmm, ok. You don't mention the ugliness of the code (handling this
> asynchronously instead of synchronously), but I guess I'll have to live
> with it.

Well, we have to decide. doCopy is very hard to understand as it is
and I doubt the way we do it now makes it easier to read :(

The main question that arises to me is how you would do per protocol
copying. With the help of the app or not? The kioslave isn't really
an app in itself as it has no display connection (it looses it with
the fork), so how would you start the other slave? The alternative
with putting a lot into the slave code without duplicating is of
course good one, but you have to do it right. For example del() and
listRecursive are single-protocol methods, so they would make good
examples of your way and I would suggest doing it now.

You could also make your code simpler in giving the slave a bunch
of URLs to operate on and a common code let the slave operate one
by one. But for move, this still makes
listDir - transfer to app - make dirs in dest - getting each file
- putting each file - del in source
I don't think you can get around the get+put in the app, but this
shouldn't be too complex (I hope)

Greetings, Stephan

--
It said Windows 95 or better, so in theory Linux should run it
                                                GeorgeH on /.