List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KAboutData and app name
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       2000-01-29 22:14:52

David Faure wrote:

> > Seems like the recent KAboutData are responsible for this. Instead of
> > the real application name argv[0] is being passed to KApplication. This
> > causes some problems when absolute paths (or the temporary libtool
> > versions) are used.
>
> This is wrong indeed.
> We decided to show argv[0] in --help because that's how the program
> should be invoked. But that should be it. argv[0] shouldn't be used
> as the program name.

I think I found the real source of the problem. KAboutData's constructor
didn't strip of a leading path if present. KInstance is later
constructed with _name(aboutData->appName()). That's why calls to
KInstance::config() failed.

> > "charles": better check if you replaced "{name}" with argv[0] in other
> > places
> Ahhh You mean there was argv[0] in the KAboutData's constructor ?
> This is wrong indeed.

Charles, in case you read this thread: forget about my warning, argv[0]
should be handled fine now.

Harri.