List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Licensing alternative
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       2000-01-26 17:21:22

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> > > If nobody objects, I will start sweeping through KDE changing the
> > > GPL licenses in headers to include that clause (I won't touch
> > > LGPL, Artistic, BSD, X, etc licenses).
> >
> > I object.
>
> Okay :-)
>
> Why?

1) If I had wanted to include that I had included it myself but I have
chosen not to.
2) The copyright holders are the ones who determine the licence, you
are not legally entitled to change the license, only if you are acting
on their behalve with their consent. I doubt that stating "if nobody
objects" on a mailinglists is the same as having the explicit consent
of all copyright holders involved. Especially since not all copyright
holders might be present on this list.

Cheers,
Waldo