List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Licensing alternative
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-01-27 2:29:19

   Hi!

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 11:26:40PM -0100, Uwe Thiem wrote:

> > > Me too.
> >
> > And again.. Why?
>
> Pretty obvious I guess. By including those lines we implicitely state
> there has been a problem with GPL and KDE before while I think there
> has been none. Don't acknowledge a problem if there was none. ;-)

Hey.... last time when I checked we were trying to write free software,
not to win a war. ;)

There exists a real problem. The real problem is that Debian isn't
shipping KDE. Now, you can say that is their problem but that doesn't
help anybody who is using Debian.

You can't even blame them for not interpreting the GPL the same way
as we do, since reading and understanding that document as normal human
being is close to impossible (as the ongoing license discussions show).

So there is a real problem, regardless of whether we have been always
right.

Clarifying the issue seems to be possible with three harmless lines. I
don't think that the "we-were-always-right" position is useful here.
Some people died in traffic, because they insisted that they were
right.

It's pointless. What do you gain?

   Cu... Stefan