List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Licensing alternative
From:       Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero () redhat ! de>
Date:       2000-01-26 16:50:30

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Roberto Alsina wrote:

> > No! Every author is free to use any license text he/she wishes.
>
> Just keep in mind that the GPL is not under a free license itself.
> That is, you can't modify the text of the GPL.

That's not quite true. You can use GPL-derived licenses.

> " You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise
> of the rights granted herein."

- This is meant for the end user. You can't grab a package that's already
  under the GPL, add a patch, and re-release the whole under a different
  license.
  If we add a sentence about Qt, the sentence you quoted applies to that,
  meaning someone else creating a KDE-derived desktop must leave the right
  to link against Qt in.

- Even if this were meant for the person granting the license,
  permitting to link against QPL code is not imposing a further
  restriction.

LLaP
bero

--
Anyone sending unsolicited bulk email (UBE, SPAM) to this address will be
charged a $25 handling fee plus a $5 network traffic fee per started

Nevertheless, spammers trying to auto-extract addresses from this message
will definitely want to include uce@ftc.gov and report@fraud.org