List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Licensing alternative
From:       Mosfet <mosfet () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-01-26 11:58:31

Believe me, I really don't like the GPL. Nonetheless the nonsense that
some people like Debian have been maintaining about GPL incompatiblity
is just that - nonsense. The author of a KDE application can require
linking to anything he or she wants. If you create a GPL KDE or Qt
application permission to use those libraries is implicit. You require
it for building. You most likely use it's configuration system for
compiling. If it's a core application you upload it into KDE's core
packages. If it's not you most likely upload it to KDE's ftp server.
Every other line probably calls KDE/Qt. Saying you need to place
explicit statements in the license allowing to build your application is
utter and complete nonsense and has no legal basis whatsoever from what
I can tell. At least Debian has admitted to this and that it's mostly an
anti-KDE emotional issue for many of them.

http://www.mosfet.org - The place for KDE development news.
mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org