List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KIOSlave(make-it-cool branch)
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-01-23 20:17:05

On Sun, Jan 23, 2000 at 07:19:09PM +0000, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> >
> > So, the question is where is the pool ? In kioslave or in the app's process ?
> > I'd say in kioslave. Does it make sense ?
> >
> Well, putting it in kioslave could definitly make sure that the file
> system
> isn't overloaded by copying in 5 konquerors at the same time. But it
> could also
> cause unwanted deadlocks - for example if you copy two dirs in some
> konquerors,
> you wouldn't be able to browse via the file dialog. So you had to do
> some
> job priorities, but how can you decide in general what is important and
> what
> not? For kioslave it's only listdir jobs.

But isn't that the only way to share kioslaves between applications ?
I thought this was a requirement...
Although I'm not sure it's a really useful thing (never happened to me
that two apps had something to do with the same host+protocol).

In your example, ... if the user starts 5 copy operations, he'll probably
wonder why some go through and some don't, when all he/she asks for
is to overload his file system :-)

Hmmm. I don't see a reason to decide for one or the other yet.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org