List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: startkde.. hmm?
From:       Lars Knoll <Lars.Knoll () mpi-hd ! mpg ! de>
Date:       2000-01-23 13:57:37

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, Alex Zepeda wrote:

> Ok, so what's the consensus on the font bits in startkde?  They don't
> really work for me (well they enable some uglyass fixed, and non scalable
> font for the menus and such).  Do they do their intended job for anyone or
> is it kosher to axe them?

I don't really know, why the menues show up in fixed now. I've got the
impression it must be a bug in Qt's font handling, or the function
setting KDE's default font, since the font list you get with xlsfonts
still shows all fonts (it must, since there was just another directory
added to the font path).

IMO, we will need this font directory, to supply some minimal support for
non latin1 character for KDE, at least until all distributors start
shipping unicode based fonts.

I've just tried kfontmanager a bit, and it showed all fonts I requested
(and which were installed) correclty, so it's IMO not Qt, but rather the
mechanism which selects the default font for KDE.

... hmmm...

I think I found the problem. kglobal::generalFont and kglobal::fixedFont
do the following:

    charsets()->setQFont(*_generalFont, charsets()->charsetForLocale());

This forces the charset of the font to be the specified in the second
argument of setQFont.

charsetForLocale asks KLocale::charset() to determine the charset to use,
and this is from the docs of klocale:

    /**
      * Returns the charset name by selected locale.
      * This will be the charset defined in the config file.
      * NOTE: This is no longer the same as encoding.
      * "unicode" is default
      *
      * @return Name of the prefered charset for fonts
      */
    QString charset() const { return chset; }

So if you don't have a charset entry in your global config file, you'll
get unicode fonts, and as the one added by the startkde commands above is
the only one, you'll always get this font ;-)

Adding the following lines to ~/.kde/share/kdeglobals  solved the problem
for me:

[Locale]
Charset=iso8859-1

Cheers,