List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Fwd: Re: KDE keyboard feature
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       2000-01-21 21:16:33

Subject: Re: KDE keyboard feature
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 13:55:41 -0500
From: George Staikos <staikos@0wned.org>
To: Waldo Bastian <bastian@suse.de>

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote:

  (I'm not on the core-devel list with posting permission so I can't
 send to it, and for some reason I can't subscribe to -devel at all...
 no idea why, so that's why I'm not cross-posting)

> >    I'm not sure if you're a good person to mail about this.  if
> > not, please direct me in the right direction.
> >
> >    Is there any way that support for keyboard modifiers other than
> > "CTRL, ALT and SHIFT" to be added to KDE2?  I have not played with
> > the code for KDE at all so I don't know how much work/how
> > difficult/how much impact there would be, but the reason I think it
> > would be useful is mainly for laptops.  Many laptops have an FN key
> > which actually behaves just like a keyboard modifier, and it would
> > be nice to be able to associate FN+key to KDE tasks, both in the
> > KDE core and in KHotKeys.  It seems like CTRL, ALT and SHIFT are
> > hardcoded in right now.  What do you think?
>
> I would love to see that happen and it shouldn't be too hard to add.
>
> Slightly related, there are also Mac people who would like to be able
> to exchange the roles of Alt and Ctrl. (This seems to be harder)

   Well I see with xmodmap that the modifiers are defined very
 distinctly as mod1-5.   I guess CTRL considered a modifier.  Perhaps
 we should keep CTRL as a common modifier across all systems and then
 have the rest dynamically chosen on a per-system basis based on this
 table?

mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x71)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4
mod5        Scroll_Lock (0x4e)

  How much work can you estimate for this?  As a side project, which
 might very well be related, I was thinking about making something like
 "kcmmodmap" which would make xmodmap graphically configurable, writing
 out the results to the custom .xmodmap.   As I said I haven't played
 with the kde core code at all, and I have written kde apps but no kde
 control modules.  I'm going to see what's involved in making control
 modules this weekend - ugh time time time.  I wish I had more
 time!#%$#%

- --

George Staikos