List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KIOSlaves
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2000-01-20 21:56:59

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > > In general: no reuse of KIOJob. a KIOJob should be _one_ job, not
> > > thousands.
> >
> > This would sound right, but isn't that a problem for keeping e.g.
> > FTP connections between requests ? That's why we have a pool
> > currently, right ? Or do we want to have a pool of connections on one
> > hand, and one-shot jobs on the other, the jobs taking a connection in
> > the pool ? This would solve the problem, right ?
>
> The old slaves already had that. The "pool of connections" is
> represented by the pool of io-slaves. When a new job is created we look
> for an io-slave with a (possibly) matching connection.

Hmm..  did we have true persistent connection ??  We indeed had the io-slave
pool, but I thought the main intent there was to reduce the time it took to
create io-slaves on a per request basis and not for persistence ??  Hmmm...
perhaps I am understanding the word persistent differently ??  In http if you
have a persistent connection, it meant that you used that same communication
channel ( io-slave in our case ) until such time as the connection is no longer
required to be persistent ( much like a phone call it is switched until you are
done :) ).

REdgards,
Dawit A.