List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    LibKMid - A MIDI library
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       2000-01-17 19:12:27

Hello,

I've released LibKMid, a MIDI library whose main goal is to make it easy
to add MIDI music to applications (ok, mainly background music for games :) )

There are many classes which should be used if you want to handle yourself
the MIDI events sent to the MIDI devices (for example, to use LibKMid in a
MIDI sequencer like Brahms). But if all you want is to play a midi file,
all you have to do is:

kMidSimpleAPI::kMidInit();
kMidSimpleAPI::kMidLoadSong("mysong.mid");
kMidSimpleAPI::kMidPlay();

kMidPlay will return inmediatly and music will be played in the background
(it forks), later, when you want to stop the music, just use:

kMidSimpleAPI::kMidStop();

and

kMidSimpleAPI::kMidDestruct();

to delete everything which was allocated by libKMid.

I wanted to port KMid to use LibKMid and remove the "player" directory in
KMid's sources, but I have exams in two weeks (and until the end of February),
so I'll have little time until then (if any) as I haven't studied much yet.
Anyway, if there's any problem with libKMid, please tell me.

The homepage for libkmid is at:

http://www.arrakis.es/~rlarrosa/libkmid.html

I've put the API docs online (I suppose it should be moved/copied to
developer.kde.org if the multimedia team approves it as the official midi
library for KDE) at http://www.arrakis.es/~rlarrosa/libkmid/index.html

Where should I commit it on CVS ? The intuitive place is kdelibs, but
not even aRts is there (it's in kdemultimedia), so perhaps libkmid should
be another main directory on kdemultimedia ?
Otoh, I hope to see every game from kdegames gets background music soon :)
but that would create a dependency from kdegames on kdemultimedia, is it
right ?

The library doesn't link against Qt nor any of the kdelibs, so it may go
into kdesupport, but if I'm not wrong, kdesupport is for 3rd made software
and this has been done by us .

I don't know where to commit it to . Ideas ?

Greetings,

PD: There's also a C wrapper for the KMidSimpleAPI class because the author
of XShipWars wanted to use it also.
--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
Student of Mathematics