List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: empath
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-01-06 11:14:48

Sirtaj Singh Kang wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 04:01:32PM +0100, Dirk A. Mueller wrote:
> [snip]
> > so every commit needs updating the version.h. You an me know that this is
> > never the case (even ChangeLog's are normally not updated in KDE CVS).
>
> I'd really like to know a better way to automatically maintain a version
> number for an application (not a file!) using CVS. I've thought about
> this for a long time and can't come up with one.
>
> Perhaps one way is to "autocommit" one file every time a change occurs in
> the repository and use the version number of that file as the application
> version. It sounds pretty unwieldly, and I'm not sure it's possibly with
> CVS.

Hmm, the idea behind the version.h was that this change _triggers_ an
update
on ftp. Otherwise every little patch will go out as new release and
people get
bored.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Programmers, heed this: If someone starts asking you about
agricultural genomes, it's likely time to get a handler.