List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KProtocolManager
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2000-01-06 5:43:22

On Wed, 05 Jan 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jan 2000, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > > Can't you derive that from the syntax? If the reference part
> > > contains a valid URL you can assume it is a subprotocol. Just check
> > > wheter the reference matches with "[a-zA-Z]:/" or something like
> > > that.
> >
> > That I would say if the RFC tells you something about valid
> > references. I wouldn't be suprised if
> > http://host/mirrors.html#ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde is
> > a valid http URL an cd("..") should go to http://host/
>
> Well. Then we need to get rid of the current subprotocol scheme
> altogether because http://host/mirrors.html#tar:/pub/kde is just as
> valid then.
>
> Looking at the BNF in RFC1808, a '#' is not allowed inside the
> reference after the first #. So we can use the following scheme for
> sub-protocols and differentiate unambigious between valid URLs and URLs
> with subprotocols purely based on syntax:

Old RFC.  In RFC 2396, which succeeds both RFC 1808 & RFC 1738,  section 4.1
and even looking at the BNF the description for the fragement is by far
ambigous since it is dependent upon the media type (RFC 2046).

> <URL>##<SUB-URL>
>
> So "http://host/mirrors.html#tar:/pub/kde" would be a normal URL and
> "http://host/mirrors.html##tar:/pub/kde" would be an URL with
> sub-protocols.

What happens when you have multiple nests ?  For example a gzipped tar file ?

Regrads,
Dawit A.