List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KIO (Was: KProtocolManager)
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       2000-01-05 14:44:40

On Wed, 05 Jan 2000, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> The trouble comes when you want to transfer a list of items. Ever
> browsed in konqueror? It's a pain how slow it is. The way we transfer
> these items sucks and I had the belief that if you leave out the
> read/write part you may get it faster. data transfer to the
> html-widget is surely not the slow part - and never was.

If data-transfer isn't the bottle-neck, what do you want to gain by
moving to shared-memory?

My guess (please verify) that the real problem is that if you transfer
a list of items one by one, the receiver processes these items one by
one as well which is most likely a lot slower than processing items in
a batch. If this is the problem then doing some collecting while
receiving the items should help you out.

> > Why would you want to do that? To save a few context switches?
> > Better keep it simple. I don't think nested protocols are used that
> > much that they require extensive tuning.
>
> No, it _is_ easier when using innerprocess communcation

Please explain. Isn't the whole thing much like command line pipes?
Setting up the sub-protocol slave and pumping data into it should do
the trick then, right?

Cheers,
Waldo