List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: empath
From:       "Dirk A. Mueller" <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-01-05 12:17:33

On Mit, 05 Jan 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> I guess that NOW would be a good moment to move empath from kdenonbeta
> to kdenetwork.

It should be moved to a separate module imho. our way of handling
applications in CVS is a little bit ugly and it should be changed.

a) people don't always want to download a whole module if they just want to
get an updated application. remember not everybody has a leased line like
you and me, for some guys it acutally counts if they have to download
1.5megs or just 0.5megs.

b) when it is a separate module, it can be included in just about any
package, and it can be added to several packages at the same time if
wanted, like "kdenetwork_for_people_with_leased_line" or whatever.

c) the CVS Attic gets bigger and bigger with such "let's move around files"
games. slows it down and is simply unnecessary (in this case).

We had that discussion shortly before KDE-II, and we agreed on discussing
this stuff at the meeting directly. Unfortunately I couldn't travel to the
meeting, so I don't know if it has been discussed and if there is already an
agreement on the topic. At least it was nowhere mentioned.

well anyway, with coolo's sophisticated configure system (kde-common/admin)
and with the help of CVSROOT/modules, if empath is a separate module it just
can be mapped into every package you want to by changing a single module
line.
And that without loosing all the commit history information.

what could be simpler?

Dirk