List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: BREAKAGE possible
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-23 19:12:26

On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 12:03:19PM -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> > in konqueror, I've used some application mini-icons as
> > menu-items-pixmaps, where those are usually toolbar icons, right ?
> > I've used the konsole one, and the kwrite one, for instance.
> >
> > Will this still be possible after your proposed change ?
>
> Of course!  I am using the existing iconloader infrastructure to load
> the toolbar icons... it's in ADDITION to what it currently does.

Sure. I was concerned about image sizes and directory locations,
not loading code.

> Konqueror was one of the apps that I made *sure* worked ;-)
:)

> I don't think any "normal" apps (or even non-normal apps like
> konqueror) should have to rewrite any code to deal with the change.
> I'm mostly just concerned with those apps that attempt to find their
> toolbar icons on their own...

> > If yes (if small == toolbar), then why not simply move the current
> > toolbar icons to "small" (instead of, if I understood currently
> > medium/toolbar) ?
> >
> > And for people using "Large" for normal icons, that would mean
> > perhaps using "medium" icons ? Hmm...
>
> Well, the reason I would move them to medium is because they *are* the
> medium ones :-)  Under the proposed plan, the sizes would be:
>
> 16x16 - Small
> 22x22 - Medium
> 32x32 - Large

Those aren't the size of the normal icons, right ? Those are
the size of the toolbar icons... Ok, that's why you don't want
to mix them with other icons.

> All of our current toolbar icons are 22x22
>
> Toolbar icons should only be used in one of two settings -- in a
> toolbar or in a menu.  In the case of a menu, I think we'll probably
> (eventually) hard-code returning Small (16x16) icons.  The user will
> be able to set Small/Medium/Large for the toolbar itself, then.
Sounds necessary to do, yes (enforcing 16x16 for menus).

Ok, if it's still possible to use an application icon as a menuitem one,
fine with me.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org