List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Strategy for integrating the Nana debugging library
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-19 22:12:45

On Sun, Dec 19, 1999 at 10:56:04PM +0100, Dirk A. Mueller wrote:
> On Son, 19 Dez 1999, David Faure wrote:
>
> > I think we should forget about making any relation between kdebug and nana.
> > They are two completely different things.
> > kdebug is for verbose debug output, just checking where I am and
> > what the values of some variables are.
> > nana is for assertions, and any other kind of checks.
>
> nana can also do simple debug output. kdebug is just a subset of nana IIUC.

Once again, it's not a subset since nana doesn't have debug areas.
So we can't simply remove kdebug and use nana.
But yes, we can keep both and make nana call kdebug with an area of 0.

> > The first one produces a lot of debug output, that's why we need
> > debug areas
>
> Yeah, but debug output in a "finished" app is bad style imho.
> KDE 1.x produced sometimes megabytes of ~/.X.err debug output,
> which is a bad thing imho.

Which is EXACTLY why I suggested I would improve kdebug, to allow
for a default kdebug configuration (kdebugrc), which would turn off
all debug output, for releases. The rest of the time, debug output
from most libraries would be turned off as well, and only turned
on when debugging a particular library.

This would be a lot easier than keeping adding and removing
debug output from the apps all the time, which we do currently.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org