List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Strategy for integrating the Nana debugging library
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-19 20:28:05

On Sun, Dec 19, 1999 at 09:09:24PM +0100, Mirko Sucker wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> > > The logging support, the first thing that comes to discussion, does not seem
> > > the most important thing for me. Since we have kdebug already, I thing we are
> > > able to continue to use some parts of kdebug.
> > Agreed.
> > > Mostly, I will redirect Nana logging messages to kdebug (the message handler is
> > > defineable). This would save us form having to rewrite the dialog and debug area
> > > stuff, and all messages written from the Nana logging macros would appear in
> > > the same buffer/daemon/whatever that is selected in kdebug. Additionally, this
> > > option requires the least code changes and the smoothest way of integration.
> >
> > I don't see how that would work. If "nana" redirects the calls to kdebug,
> > how does it figure out the debug area code ? This isn't handled by nana...
> > Does this mean patching nana to add debug area codes to every macro ?
> My point is that I think only few messages will be printed through the
> nana macros themselfes. Actually, everything we write in the kde sources
> will use kdebug. So, only the messages send through nanas logging should
> be emitted through kdebug, using a kind of "general" area (I know, there
> is none, currently).
Wrong there is one : area 0. Prints the app name (well, KInstance name)
before the message.

> This is mainly to support code not coming from KDE CVS.
Huh ?
Didn't get that. Which code ?

> Should be easy. This way all messages from other code will appear
> in syslog, if you selected it in the kdebug dialog.
Same question.

Ok. This means I can do the changes I suggested for kdebug, right ?
(Mainly moving the dialog box to a separate app, providing
default values for libs debug areas, and removing the first
arg from the API [turned into the function name itself]).
This looks independent from nana.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org