List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    toolbar icons
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-19 4:46:28

Okay, now that we're passed KRASH, it's time to have another look at
our toolbar icons.  They have served us well to this time.. but they
have a few problems which need fixing.

1) They only come in locolor (8-bit) when most of us are now running
   hi-color systems

2) They only come in "small" size (no medium or large versions)

3) Their size is wrong

That last fault needs some explaining, I'd guess.  Our icons style
convention has always been: 16x16 for "mini" icons, 22x22 for toolbar
icons.  However, this isn't quite true!  If you look at the toolbar
icons closely, you'll see that MOST (if not all) of them are in fact
16x16 icons with a 3 pixel transparent border around them.

I found this out when I was trying to use non-toolbar icons in a
toolbar.  I noticed that the toolbar buttons assume that the
transparent border is there.  This is wrong!  All widgets using icons
MUST assume that the icon is "full".

There are two possible solutions to this.

1) Say that the small size of the toolbar buttons is 22x22 but strip
   off the transparent border off of the icons and make them the 16x16
   icons that they really are.  The buttons must compensate for this.

2) Redraw the toolbar icons to take up the full 22x22 size.  The
   toolbar buttons would then have to be bigger than that to have some
   sort of buffer (for aesthetic purposes)

I favor 1).

My proposed to solution to problems 1) and 2) are the same: integrate
the toolbar icons into our current icon scheme.

We know have (for example):

$SHARE/icons/small/locolor/apps
$SHARE/icons/small/locolor/devices
$SHARE/icons/medium/hicolor/mimetypes

I propose that we extend this by adding the following subdirs:

icons/small/locolor/toolbar
icons/small/hicolor/toolbar
icons/medium/locolor/toolbar
icons/medium/hicolor/toolbar