List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: storing HTTP/FTP passwords
From:       Geert Jansen <g.t.jansen () stud ! tue ! nl>
Date:       1999-12-18 15:16:41

Mats Loman wrote:

[About a password caching daemon]

> I fully agree with you. I would like the daemon to be able to take a
> memoryblock and encrypt it and store it on disk optionally. In this way it
> would be possible to save all kinds of sensitive data like encryption
> keys, your secret diary and so on.

Nice idea. This could be easily combined with session lasting passwords.
The user would have 2 options:

1. Password remain valid during a session only, and they remain in a
daemon.

2. Passwords remain valid always. For this option, the user need to enter
a "master password". Every first time in a session when a password is
required, the daemon asks for this password. This password will decrypt the
passwords on disk, and make them available until the end of the session.
Then, the passwords are encrypted to disk again.

The IPC between the daemon and the clients should be done with DCOP. This
way remote applications can use the daemon too, which would be impossible
if you'd use a /tmp socket.

Greetings,
--
    Geert Jansen                       email: <g.t.jansen at stud.tue.nl>
    Phylosopher, Physicist                        PGP key ID: 0xD2B5E7CE