List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: International style-guide
From:       Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-12-15 12:03:54

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, zander@microweb.nl wrote:
>> This is not about me or about you, this is about a standard that makes KDE
>> the best desktop there is. For this we follow some rules, among these is the
>> rule of consistency. Another is recognition.
>>
>> It is also not about what you or me have to do to learn another keybinding, it
>> is consistency in usage with known method of working, which leads to
>recognition.
>>
>> If KDE puts old unix users in a bad position so be it.
>>
>> Let them use their vim/emacs instead of kedit so they get to keep there
>> shortcuts.
>
>I'm considering more and more the idea to add a "Emacs" mode to KDE which
>provides a biggger set of Emacs key-bindings at the expense of menu-shortcuts.
>Ctrl-A would then be used for start of line in emacs mode and be the Select All
>shortcut for normal people >:-)
>
>Other victims would be Ctrl-N and Ctrl-P.
>
>Still that would leave us with a desktop where Ctrl-A would be select-all in
>one app (KDE) and start of line in another (e.g. netscape).
>
>From the implementation side, this means that everyone should use KLineEdit
>instead of QLineEdit.

Which is impossible, I mean in reality this just will not happen. Also
there are classes like QComboBox and QSpinBox which use QLineEdits internally.
So the only thing you can do is catching in KApplication's event filter all
CTRL+A key events to a QLineEdit, eat them and call select all for this lineedit
- or find a Troll who's stack for Qt 2.1 is not full and convince him to make
the key bindings configurable for 2.1 :-))

--
Reggie