List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KMenuBar extension needed
From:       Lotzi Boloni <boloni () cs ! purdue ! edu>
Date:       1999-12-13 17:05:16

  Hey guys, as I see the addition is so minimal that it would make sense
to make it even if for the children's programs. In the worst case we can
just put a "friend KPixmapMenu" there, no?

  Can't we just allow it and advise against it in the style quide, unless
for special cases?

  On the other hand, I think that we are too religious about this user
interface things. The UI interface theoreticians are trying to claim that
it is an exact science: I don't think it is. And the chosen way of doing
it may change with further usage patterns, and even fashion. UI is the
clothes of the program, and clothes are not always perfectly optimal in
functionality.

  Mosfet: you have made an amazing number of styles: surely you don't
think that there is one and only one which is the "right" one?

  So I think that we should allow new solutions to pop up in the KDE
framework, especially if it is so cheap to do it.

  On the other hand, the style guide is something else: it covers the
"common wisdom" about the KDE UI at any given time.

               Lotzi