List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: Fwd: Re: libkio GUI (was Re:Changing library structure (examp
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       1999-12-13 16:06:31

> Hi,
>
> On Son, 12 Dez 1999, David Faure wrote:

> > > why? KIOJob will be the full featured tool class it is now.
> >
> > Ah ? What will be in libkiocore then ?
> > KServiceType, KMimeType, KService, KSycoca*  (with a few
> KMessageBox removed) ?
> > (and of course KUserPaths, KTrader*, KUserProfile, no
> problem for those)
> >
> > Looks like you're going to have the same problem I had when
> trying to split kio.
> >
> > KService calls KAutoMount/KAutoUnMount, which calls KIOJob ...
> > and here you go, kiocore needs kioui :-)
> >
> > But I'd be really glad if we could find a solution, though !
> >
> > [ Perhaps this mount/unmount stuff could be moved out of
> kservice and
> > into konqpopupmenu. Radical but works. ]
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> That looks like broken design for me.
>
> Bye
> Torben

Sorry I meant into a class in libkonq, which currently would be only
used by konqpopupmenu. But then it turns out this is wrong anyway :
what if mounting takes ages, like NFS, or very slow cdrom, ...
The user needs feedback, and being able to cancel.
Whereever it is, it's not just a call to system().
I discussed this with Stephan and seeing that a bit of IPC was needed
for that as well, the choice remains being : keeping it in kio_file
(my suggestion), or using a pipe to a forked process (Stephan's suggestion).
To be refined after Krash I think.

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer