List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Toolbar suggestion (Was: Re: Ask Tog: UI design)
From:       Bo Thorsen <gobo () imada ! sdu ! dk>
Date:       1999-12-10 9:28:59

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Mosfet wrote:
> But that doesn't solve the problem that there are still too many buttons
> in many apps...

I agree. Why is it that apps think that you should have e.g. a quit button
on the toolbars? I even remember seeing apps that had a toolbar with just
this one button! Ridiculous.

Is it possible to write something in the style guide that minimizes the
number of toolbar buttons? I really don't think that more is better here.

It might also be an idea to take this area into global settings?
Personally I hate always having a new/save/load set in the apps since I
don't use these buttons, undo/redo I do with standard keys which means
they don't get used either... Actually I wouldn't normally use any of
the toolbar buttons except for the application specific. Is this a
general behaviour among experienced users? Because if it is then there
really should be an option to turn these things off. As Ask Tog says,
screen real estate really is valuable, so anything unused should not be
visible.

It has always been a dream of mine to have a desktop that would change
itself according to my wishes - and do this with apps I have never used
before. Take for instance the possibility in MS Office to adjust the menus
to fit how you would like them to be. This is Ok, but I do not think it is
Ok to do this with all my apps one at a time. It would be exuberantly cool
if I could just kill those unneeded parts of my desktop for all apps in
general.

--

Bo Thorsen
gobo@imada.sdu.dk