List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: dcop interfaces, standard ?
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-09 11:17:04

Antonio Larrosa wrote:

> Simon Hausmann wrote:

> > > Which reasons?
> >
> > If the component, which is to be controlled, has a graphical user
> > interface, then embedding is probably the way to go. No need to mention
> > reasons why using CORBA or DCOP is probably not the best solution for
> > that.
> >

> No, if they are both KDE applications, I agree that KParts is what should
> be used.

Be aware, that embedding gives a lot of problems when you also embed the
address space. Namely it requires you to put all symbols in an unique
namespace for each app or make sure they mean the same (no conflicting
versions of the same library). And most apps don't do that right now.
So: if it's possible I would go with DCOP in simple cases.

Greetings, Stephan

--
When your memory goes, forget it!