List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: dcop interfaces, standard ?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       1999-12-09 10:32:55

> As you can see there are problems overall. Lets jump out of the window :-)
> It depends on where you assume the smallest trouble for your program.
> For KOffice, Konqui and others we had the smallest trouble when doing
> embedding with shared libs and scripting&stuff with DCOP.

The problem here is that Bernd seems to be looking for the "scripting&stuff"
part and many other people only think about "embedding with shared libs".

We need both and support for "scripting&stuff" is lacking at the moment.
As noted earlier:

* we need a working and reliable trader for it.
* we need some workable default interface descriptions.

Trader requirements
--------------

Applications must be able to request for a service. The trader must response
with some sort of pointer to the required service or report failure.

The trader must make sure that the service is indeed ready to accept requests
before returning to the requesting application!

Just launching the application is not enough because then there will be a
time-frame in which the application is running but in which requests to it will
be lost because the application has not yet registered itself with DCOP.

Interface requirements
----------------

Typically we will have running UNIX processes with multiple mainwindows. If
such a process implements a DCOP interface we must take care that DCOP commands
do not interfere unexpectedly with existing mainwindows.

Example: KEdit has two main-windows open. When an apllication requests KEdit
via DCOP to open a new document and then requests to print this document we
must make sure that the right document gets printed and not the one in another
main-window. Even if, at that same time, another application request KEdit via
DCOP to do something similair. Or if the user closes a window.

Typically we need to pass around "handles" and application implementing DCOP
interfaces must make sure to test their validity.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Repeat after me: We are reimplementing CORBA