Hi, On Mit, 08 Dez 1999, Bernd Gehrmann wrote: > On Thu, 09 Dec 1999 Torben Weis wrote: > > >In practice it often shows that dealing wirth multiple processes in a > >distributed object environment you get really big problems because > >it is so easy to make errors. > > In practice it often shows that dealing with multiple 'programs' > in one address space you get really big problems. > > * Programs arbitrarily modify other programs' name space > * Different programs may use different versions of the > same library => clash > * Different programs may use the same symbol names => clash. > Such problems are _really_ hard to find. > * Different programas need their own event loop => doesn't work. I know, You can find these points in my master thesis, too. But apparently it is a fact that we did not get the CORBA stuff to work. > Furthermore, I've already mentioned the license problem; and > of course, the problem of colliding i18n() strings is not solved > in the framework used by Konqueror or KOffice. It just works because > all components are maintained in one place. This is not a really big deal. We have KInstance and only need to resolve relative to that. Perhaps coolo already has a better idea ? > >That is IMHO the difference between theory and practice :-) > > The theory that's spreaded here is that shared libraries are the > silver bullet which solves all problems. My experience is different. As Matthias wrote: Programming is NOT about silver bullets :-) > And KOffice is not a good example for communication between components > because it is maintained in one central place so that you can really test > how components work together. I want to use interfaces implemented > by programs which I've never seen. These are very different boundary > conditions. Well, and if you use multiple processes than you rely on other things: - Does the other app use the same communication protocol ? - Is the implementation compatible (CORBA is not always in his history) ? - Are the security models compatible ? (GNOME: cookies, MICO: SSL ) As you can see there are problems overall. Lets jump out of the window :-) It depends on where you assume the smallest trouble for your program. For KOffice, Konqui and others we had the smallest trouble when doing embedding with shared libs and scripting&stuff with DCOP. Your milage may be different. Bye Torben > Bernd.