List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Viewing .desktop files in iconview - Take 3
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-12-08 15:28:24

David Faure wrote:

> Why I'm going to revert the patch
> ---------------------------------
>
> Because this is crap. We are changing the semantics and it can't work.
Agreed.

> The Name field, for desktop files created from a template (the "New" menu)
> is the GENERIC name. Device. Link. Application.
> If we change it when the user installs a new file, we would only change
> the name is the user's language, right ? So if he switches to another
> language,
> oops, the name disappeared, and it reverted the name to the generic name,
> in the new language.
BUT, if the user gives the link a new Name the translations are
obviously wrong and thus should be removed. I think this should be done
in general if th user modifies the Name field. The new name would become
the default Name then. And if a user really switches between different
languages he can modify it in another language. In this case, i.e. when
the default name is already there it should be save as locale dependent
name.
Ahh, just see that someone else had the same  idea.

> Ok, not if the new language already existed in KDE-1.x and had the same
> translation
> of the word Application (or Link, etc...) !!! Now. Am I still the only one
> to call
> this an AWFUL HACK ? (I won't reuse Cristian expression but it matches what
> I think).
>
> The Name field, for everything created from templates, is NOT the name of
> the
> particular instance, it's the generic name. The FILENAME though, is the name
> of the particular instance.
Yes because templates are generic. But if you create a new instance of a
template, this is a special file and thus should get a special Name
field. Note that for application templates this is already true. The
user should change the name. Otherwise the programs show up as
"Application" in the KMenu. So the same can(should) safely be extended
to device(and all other) templates as well. If he/she doesn't change it,
well, then it's called "File System Device" on the desktop. So what?

> How the user names his files should have NOTHING to do with i18n. A filename
> is a filename, damn it.
Well, that remains valid if you show the Name entry on the desktop. You
will have untranslated, short and not_containing_evil_whitspaces
filenames. But nicer looking, translated Descriptions used on the
Desktop an in the KMenu.

> Note that I spotted the real flaw in the whole "show the name field" idea,
> and that it has nothing to do with "legacy kdelnk files".
>
> The original idea of showing the Name field, in fact, only applies to
> Application
> desktop files, and only to those which WE provide (as opposed to the ones
> created
> >from a template).
But *why* should this only apply to Application desktop files? Why
should they be treated in a special way? I have the same opinion as
Waldo here.

Greets

Michael

--
Michael Reiher
     Student at Dresden University of Technology