List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: Viewing .desktop files in kdesktop - take 2
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       1999-12-08 10:56:08

> David Faure wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 09:26:26PM +0100, Torben Weis wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > my mother would like to see only nice names, no extensions and she
> > > would never see the inconsistency because she would never open
> > > a .desktop file in an editor.
> > >
> > > I would do so and I would like to see the complete filenames.
> > >
> > > So I would do it like this:
> > >
> > > a) Bascially as David suggested. Keep filename and the "Name=" line in
> > >     sync as we did with KFM bookmarks as good as possible.
> > > b) KDesktop does never show the ".desktop" extension since the desktop
> > >     is not about file management. It always shows the "Name=" thing.
> > > c) For konqui we introduce an option and by default we do the same as
kdesktop.
> > >     Dummy users will be happy with that and power users can just turn
"real
> > >     filenames" on quickly.
> > >

> > This would a nice and almost consistent thing to do, if we started KDE
> > right now.
> > Due to existing .kdelnk files, I still think it's a bad idea.
> >
> > In fact a conversion script would be well better than Kurt's kludges
> > in kfileitem, to avoid the kind of problems I "reported" on kde-cvs.
> >
> > I can't believe such crap made it into kfileitem.
> >
> Me neither. So we implement Torben's plan and Kurt provides a script?

The flaw in Torben's plan is "a)". See "take 3". Changing language will
revert
to a generic name, for any desktop file created from a template.

Why not simply name the file after the Name field when copying it on the
desktop ?
After the file is copied, no more hacks. Renaming works as expected,
changing language
doesn't screw up, ....

--
David Faure