List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: dcop interfaces, standard ?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       1999-12-08 10:08:51

On Tue, 07 Dec 1999, David Faure wrote:
> I think that when one applications wants to use another one,
> it should use KParts (the next one) and load the other app's shared lib,
> instead of using DCOP - for the same reasons that we dropped CORBA.
> And KParts provides open, close, save, ...

That's only true if you want to embed another application. For other
tasks control of another application can be enough. For example in an
IDE I would like to be able to load files in an editor, save them and
set the cursor at the position where a compile error occured. It
doesn't need to embed the editor for this.

> Of course if you are talking about scripting, then this doesn't apply :-)
> You don't really say what those DCOP interfaces would be used for.

Everything you can think of apart from embedding.

Cheers,
Waldo