List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: threads
From:       "Dirk A. Mueller" <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-04 15:49:28

On Sam, 04 Dez 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> > just a note: there is qapp->processx11Events(), which is easier to handle
> > than QTimer with a 0 timeout.
> But then you must ensure that your code is reentrant, which is not true
> for most of kdelibs.

Or just call qapp->processEvents() where it is save and the gui might need
an update.

I repeat myself: If there are so serious problems in kdelibs code that
qapp->processEvents() will break something, then it should be fixed ASAP.
Threads might be a good option in the future, so we should think about
reentrant kdelibs already. But switching NOW to a user space threads
implementation won't help us with the kioslave problems. Try optimizing
kio/kioslave first before adding another layer of complexity.

However, no concrete problems with qapp->processEvents() come to my mind. I
suppose you know them already? Or why else did you mention it ? :)

Dirk