List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror speed
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-12-04 15:13:05

> while the main problem with libkio is that it reads item per item and
> goes back to the
> Qt event queue. This is almost the only way (besides the bad QTimer
> hacks done within
> kfile) to ensure a GUI that doesn't block.

Excuse my ignorance, but why that? Are you saying we read item by item and
return to the event loop?!

That would definitely explain a speed problem..........

Simple optimization: read several items in one cycle, with a maximum of for
example 100 (=> probably almost a 50x times faster)

Better optimization: Measure the time you spend reading from the pipe. After
1/10 second (which could mean 10, 20, or 1000 items depending on the machine
speed), go back to the event loop. This guarantees a snappy user interface and
high speed when receiving the data.

Matthias