List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: threads
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       1999-12-03 14:20:10

On Fri, 03 Dec 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> "Dirk A. Mueller" wrote:
> >
> > On Fre, 03 Dez 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> >
> > > I'll revert my patches, ok?
> >
> > Why not make it configurable? I don't use NFS, so I personally don't care
> > about the problems with it. But I would like to have the speed :-)
> >
> > even a compilation time switch would be ok for me.
> >
> Why everyone says this is a NFS only problem is above me. NFS just
> increases
> the factor, if you have twice as many files on your harddisc as on your
> NFS server the speed (and the problem) is the same

No. The problem is that there is no way you can reasonably abort your
application when it is being blocked on a slow NFS access.

Reading a directory with 2000 files might be slow, but if you do a
processEvents() once in a while you still have the possibility to abort when
the user presses some cancel button.

When you are inside a system call which waits for a remote NFS server to answer
you can do nothing.

That's the difference between being slow (large dir) and being blocked (NFS).

Cheers,
Waldo