List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: User installed apps, Was: kded excluding dirs?
From:       "David Faure" <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-02 12:55:44

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:
>
> > weis wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > lets try again:
> > >
> > > At university our students can not install apps since they are not
> > > root. So they can install only in their home directories.
> > > People reported to me that they can not install the RPM
> > > packages in their home dirs. Is there any way?
> > >
> > > And further more: Can we set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to contain
> > > $HOME/.kde/libs ? Distributors should in addition
> > > add $HOME/.kde/bin to $PATH, or we do that in startkde.
> > No, don't use $HOME/.kde - that is for written files. You can
> > install into any file. You won't have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> > with anything compiled out of KDE's configure :)
>
> How could I doubt :-)
>
> > And when you can install software, you surely can also extend
> > PATH :)
>
> Once it works with some RPM stuff this might not be true any more ...
>

> > > And (related to ksycoca) if two services of the same name and the
> > > same servicetype exists. One of the user and one in the global
> > > environment. In this case it would IMHO be a good idea to perfer
> > > the service the user has installed himself. How does
> KSyCoCa handle
> > > this ?
> > >
> > KStandardDirs eliminates duplicates by default
>
> So kSyCoCa uses KStandardDirs to find the .desktop files ?
> Or was that just: "At least my class does it right" ?

Both classes do it right, but NO, ksycoca doesn't use KStandardDirs
to find the .desktop files - because ksycoca has a very flexible design
(using factories which could save anything in the ksycoca file, each
factory having a list of dirs, and the parsing loop looking for files
being the same for all).
void KBuildSycoca::readDirectory is a port of the one in the previous kded,
using QDir to get the list of files in each directory.

Of course ksycoca factories uses KStandardDirs to get the list of dirs to
parse,
though. It just doesn't use the fact that "KStandardDirs eliminates
duplicates by default".

It works fine, but if anybody wants to change it for some reason (which?),
well do it.

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer