List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: kdelibs
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       1999-11-29 10:13:27

> > > Can't you use ktempfile?
> > >
> > Oh, I didn't notice what it was for.
>
> For this ;-)
>
> > Will do.
> >
> > One thing : KTempFile hardcodes "/tmp" as default, which is bad.
> > Can I put there the usual
> >
> > #ifdef HAVE_PATHS_H
> > #include <paths.h>
> > #endif
> > #ifndef _PATH_TMP
> > #define _PATH_TMP "/tmp"
> > #endif
> >
> > And then use _PATH_TMP"/kde" as default ?
>
> Hmmm... Why use /tmp/kde? You shouldn't leave temp-files hanging
> around. Whether they are stuck in /tmp or /tmp/kde makes no
> difference.
You didn't understand me.
You used /tmp/kdeXXX
I suggested _PATH_TMP"/kde"XXX, which is the same in most cases.

Well in fact I suggested later on
_PATH_TMP + "/" + application (instance) name + XXX

> Creating /tmp/kde is a pain because we can't create /tmp/kde with the
> same rights as /tmp without being root.
Yes yes, I never suggested this.

> Just use _PATH_TMP.
>
> We could in addition check for a KDE_TEMP environment variable. If
> people want to have temp-files somewhere else it's then up to them to
> set up the stuff correctly.
Good idea. And another good reason for having KTempFile :-)

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer