List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Completion (Was: Key management)
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! TU-Berlin ! DE>
Date:       1999-11-28 9:18:51

On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 01:00:17PM -0500, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:

Hi,

> Hmmm... how will this work ?  In kfile's case for example, are you first
> attempting a match with the list of previouly selected and if not found
> attempt a match with files in the current directory ?  If so, what happens

no, kfile only matches files in the current directory, not from the
ComboBox.

> for cases where there is not current directory etc ...

How could you have no current directory?

> I do not think there is any need to do this.  I will simply connect to
> KCompletion for both types of completions.  If people want to use QComboBox's
> autocompletion feature then they should use QComboBox.

Ok, good point.

> I have been thinking about this.  But I think I will have to add both an
> accessor and mutator methods in KComboBox and KLineEdit :
>
> KCompletion* completionObject()
> void setCompletionObject ( KCompletion* completion )

Yes.

> a KCompletion object.  Can you make sure that the slots in KCompletion are
> virtual.  I thought I saved a copy header file from your original post, but I
> did not :(

hmm, is this necessary? I only made

 virtual QString makeCompletion( const QString& string );

virtual, because that's the only thing you would need to override. Any
derived class from KCompletion should feed its completable strings to
KCompletion, which then handles all the rest.
If you can tell me a good reason to make the other stuff virtual as well,
no problem, but for now I can't see why that would be necessary.

> If you have the chance, can you send me (personal mail) copy of KCompletion
> class in a compressed format ?  I have already completed KLineEdit and am
> starting on KComboBox, but I need KCompletion to test this last change.

Sure.

Cheers,
Carsten Pfeiffer
--