List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Context menus
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       1999-11-26 9:01:22

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> #if Bernd Gehrmann
> > Does any KDE application have the ability to open context
> > menus by keyboard? If not, then it's time to establish
> > conventions wrt which key is used for this purpose and
> > at which position such a menu is opened in QListView,
> > QListBox and QIconView.
>
> IMO context menus are supposed to be opened with the pointer.
> They should be shortcuts only - they're easier to understand
> than the normal menus (from the menubar) as they look connected
> to the object.

They _are_ connected to the object in the sense that the actions
provided in the menu operate on the object. I see no reason why
this functionality shouldn't be provided via the keyboard.

> What should happen is that the menubar provides all the functionality
> you need and the popup only gives quicker access.
>
> Therefore they should not be available using the keyboard.
>
> Note that this is similar to DnD. DnD is a shortcut for those
> using the mouse, but the same functionality should be available
> from the menubar.

This is not very practicle. Take the desktop for example. You can
(you should be able to) browse the objects their with the keyboard.
But where would you like to implement the "Open with" menu?
The desktop doesn't have a menubar. It would be sort of silly to make
a menubar just for this.

Cheers,
Waldo